Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spicy Lemon Pepper Pasta with Broccoli



Yesterday I was in WalMart picking up a few things and sent my 15-year-old daughter a text.  "What would you like for dinner?"  The answer?  "The broccoli pasta.  I've been craving it."  Oooookay!  So I sent my 17-year-old daughter off to get the ingredients while I remained in the pharmacy line for about 87 hours.  Okay, just 30 minutes, but it was torture the whole time.

Unfortunately, we were famished and polished off the pasta before I was able to get a picture, but I promise that LoLo's pictures on Vegan YumYum are much better than mine would have been.  Since her recipe is for one and mine was for a family, I'll post my amounts.


  • 1 pound fettuccine
  • half a bottle or more of julienne sliced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (I don't drain it - I use that oil for stir-frying the broccoli instead of the olive oil Lolo calls for - I find I use less oil that way and it is more flavorful.)
  • two big bunches of broccoli, florets cut into bite sized pieces
  • about 2 tsp of red pepper flakes (I don't measure this - I just dump it in.)
  • the juice of two large lemons 
  • salt (at least 1/2 tsp) and black pepper to taste
Rather than dirty two pots for  this, I simply have all my other ingredients ready and waiting for when the pasta is finished.  I drain it, then add the tomatoes in oil, broccoli, and red pepper flakes to the pasta pot and stir fry it until the broccoli is bright green in color and slightly tender, but still has a little bite to it.  Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then add the pasta back to the pot and toss it all together.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment